[Public-List] Shaft Log replacement/improvement ideas?

James Almond okeebc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 07:04:45 PST 2011

I have removed the bronze shaft log from my boat and I am now considering
replacing it with a fiberglass tube. Before I do though I would like to get
some feedback from the group because my mind is not totally made up that
this is the best thing to do.

The OD dia log to coupler mismatch issue is a concern but so is the rather
large hole in the deadwood for the log to pass into the boat. The hole is
3/8" larger than the log shaft and leaves only +- 1/8" of "meat" port and
starbd for sealant under the plate against the deadwood. My theory is that
glassing the whole goat rodeo and providing some support for the fore end
of the new glass log would be an improvement over the two lag screw/giant
hole/sealant situation.

Has anyone here made this conversion or something similar? Maybe found a
alternative bronze log that works/fits better?

Thanks in advance,

Jim #329