[Public-List] Edgewater 11/15

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 18:35:56 PST 2011

We returned home today completing our Fall Cruise.  We stayed in Solomons for four days to let the waves near Cove Point lay down.  When you have several days of South West 15-25 wind the seas will lump up to four to five feet there and develop a confused pattern.  We stayed at a friends dock for part of the time the went over to a mooring.  We met with friends, partied and played tourist.  A good weekend and last stop.

While we were weathered in more than we wanted, it was a good trip and will be done again.  Because of the weather we spent more time actually tied to a pier than we did on our last trip to Maine.

There were some questions about what I burn in the "solid fuel fireplace".  At first I used Presto Log (store bought fireplace logs).  They burn well and produce a lot of heat, but we found that a steady diet will really soot up the stack and Charley Noble.  I did have to clean the soot out several times.  Charcoal does fairly well, not Kingsford or Match Light, but the expensive stuff.  It isn't as hot and makes a lot of ash, however.  The next cold spell I'm going to try driftwood and perhaps coal.   Remember we were using the fireplace for serious heat, a couple mornings we had frost on deck and ice on a canvas top once.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei
CT35

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
George S. Patton