[Public-List] Waste Holding tank question from Chris Widing

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:47:45 PST 2011

Chris

What you are describing is the old Mansfield TDX  version of a sewage
treatment system that was a group purchase back in 1983. It was a 7 gal
holding tank with a treatment system that used formaldehyde and a built-in
macerator in the bottom of the tank to mix the sewage cocktail prior to
discharge. Does that sound like the system you have? It is probably still
legal, but the system probably does not work anymore. They failed after
about 5 years. We (the Association bought 100 of these systems for $445
each, $700 list price). Seemed like a good idea at the time, but turned out
to a maintenance nightmare. Everyone I know (me included) has removed the
Mansfield system and replaced it with a standard holding tank with a deck
pump out. George Dinwiddie did a good job of documenting this on the Alberg
30 website. http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/RaritanNewer/. He used a
combination of rigid PVC and flexible PVC hose. Recently introduced by
Raritan is a new type of waste hose called saniflex, I saw it at the boat
show in Annapolis - I bends to a 5" radius and is supposedly 15 times more
odor resistant that flexible PVC. I plan to order some of this hose soon, it
costs $10.50 per foot, but I can get a discount if I buy a whole roll (50
feet)...That's a lot of crap hose...if anyone is interested in buying some
hose let me know. Here is info on the hose
http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/Installation%20_aids/saniflex.pdf.