[Public-List] New Alberg Owner

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 10:36:34 PST 2011

Hi Joel,

Welcome to fan club! The Albergs are a great boat. I bought my '68 Alberg on Lopez Island Island five or six years ago and now berth it at Everett Marina. I think there are maybe 5 - 6 boats in the PNW these days, including Washington and BC. I think you have 3 or 4 near you in BC, and there are two boats hanging out in Point Roberts and some other place. Both were for sale, so don't know if the skippers are active on the list anymore. One or two more maybe around Monterrey Bay, California.

There is a larger Alberg association that mysteriously convenes for a summer weekend on some island in the San Juans - or perhaps Gulf Islands - but I have never encountered a mailing list, or how to communicate with the Fleet. They sailout of the mist to rejoice, then retire to their mythical homeland I guess.

The two things I found unseaworthy when I first purchased Dolce were the 1/4 " chainplate bolts attaching the shrouds to the hull, and a worn lower rudder pin. No big deal really, but worth checking. The chain plate bolts need to be 5/16" size, which requires drilling out the old passages and fitting anew. Bit awkward trying to do that with the hanging locker cabinetry in the way, but, do it while your new boat enthusiasm is still strong and you'll never feel the pain. There is a repair note on the Alberg maintenance site.. This issue has been around awhile, so perhaps a previous owner has already taken care of it.

When I replaced the bolts, I also installed new chain plates- just because they were OEM stainless and I wanted another 50 years before doing anything with them again.

Worn rudder pins are apparently common after30 - 40 years service. The pin extends out of the bottom of the rudder shaft and inserts into a seat reamed into the bronze casting bolted to the bottom aft end of the keel. I didn't discover my pin was worn until crossing the straits under some low scud and sort of rolling over the incoming swells from the ocean. If you have any problems with the pin, your rudder will likely pickup a vibration about the time you lay the rail into the water, causing the boat to shudder. Mine started moaning periodically, so naturally first time I experienced this, thought the end was near.. and my 'seaworthy' mind conjured up visions of the ocean opening up and pulling me and the boat round and round and down into the grey depths. Lines flying in the wind, the mast toppling at the spreaders , that sort of thing... AHA HA HA, didn't happen. Turns out the pin was a rather puny 3/8" or 1/4" stock turned down out of the rudder shaft. The pin on mine had worn down to an oblong sub 1/4" by the time I replaced it - something like 2 years latter. I found the vibration was caused by the pin reaming out the casting then slopping around in the oversized clearance. The noise I think was the rudder building up an oscillation and fluttering through the water as the boat rolled down the back of swells. I eventually replaced the whole rudder stock and had a machine shop turn the end of the stock down to a 1/2" X 1" stub, then drill out the lower casting to accommodate . There is lots of material in the casting and it is now very robust- I am hoping for 75 years til the next service on this piece.

Some of the owners on the list have a much easier fix, just drill out the pin on the end of the shaft and seat a 3/8" bronze shank bolt into the hole. Could easily go 7/16" I think. lasts for years apparently...

Enjoy your new boat! Maybe the other west coasters will join in here... Be great to organize a Northwest flotilla!

GlennB
S/V Docle