[Public-List] hull speed

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:45:26 PST 2011

Gordon,

With respect, I don't think it is possible to power an A30 hull to 7-8
knots. Hull Speed is somewhere around 6.2 knots. My 20hp can power the boat
to just over 6 knots at max rpm, but the noise and fuel consumption is
wicked. I've hit 7 knots and more for very brief periods of time under sail
when hit with a gust, but never under power. These speeds clocked with GPS.

-jeff

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM, gordon white <gewhite at crosslink.net> wrote:

>   I'm not sure what "hull speed" is for the Alberg 30, but when
> clean-bottomed, I get 7-8 knots (on the knot meter) at full power with my
> diesel. I know, I need to time myself two ways between known points, but
> I'm not sure how accurate the daymarkers are located on a chart.... At
> those speeds it's really churning (obviously not planing)
>  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II

Jeffrey Fongemie