[Public-List] hull speed

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 15 04:15:27 PST 2011

The formula for the speed of a displacement hull is the square root LWL x
hull factor based on design (in the Albergs' case I believe this to be 1.34)

4.66 x 1.34 = 6.2 knots

So....you could install a turbo-charged v-8 and a huge prop...but you will
still only achieve 6.2. The standard prop for the A30 with an Atomic 4 is
2-blade 13x7 RH. With this prop the engine achieves 1400 RPM at hull speed.
If you look at the power curve for the Atomic 4 that is about 10 HP.  If you
switch to a 3-blade prop, it will be smoother because you will always have
one blade cutting but it will not increase the boat speed. A 3-blade prop
may be smaller in diameter (a good thing since it reduces prop wash and
noise against the hull) but the pitch would have to be adjusted. The best
way to determine this is to contact Michigan Wheel because they have a 'prop
calculator' to determine pitch and diameter based on boat type and engine
type. You may need to provide them with the power curve for your engine.
This should not be a guessing game, you'll never get it right.