[Public-List] Hull Speed

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 15 06:33:58 PST 2011

 Though not in the same league as the impressive "transient" speed Gord describes  below, this summer our A30's co-owner and I had a memorable beam reach south from Lonely Island (Georgian Bay) in perhaps 12 kts of NW breeze and very moderate waves with full mains'l and 140% Genoa.  Though only heeled at perhaps 10-15 degrees,  just after I took the helm, Trois Bouleaux moved along for a couple of hours at a "consistent" 6.5 - 6.7 kts according to our recent, and presumably accurate, GPS.  The smooth ride and moderate heel were quite striking.  It sure felt like a sweet spot. And a boat food supper (ravioli?) was easily heated on a single-burner propane camp stove on the cabin sole and consumed underway.   Shortly after sunset, the wind became SW and when we neared Lion's Head close hauled, and about 1.5 NM from shore, we perceived a very strong distinctive odour of skunk, both in the cockpit and down below.  The smell dissipated and then recurred, which led us to conclude that the source was likely ashore, and that we had not struck a swimming skunk. David TROIS BOULEAUX #319