[Public-List] hull speed

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Nov 16 11:53:16 PST 2011

I've sailed at 8 knots for hours, but the conditions
have to be just right. A reach, with just the right
amount of wind, and the waves can't be too high.
The quarter wave moves slightly behind the stern and
the boat kind of digs itself a hole in the water.
It's fantastic when it happens!

But the most I can do under power is 5.5. Maybe
a little bit more with a very clean hull and prop.

Stephen Gwyn

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn