[Public-List] hull speed

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 12:48:19 PST 2011

I've suspected for a long time that under certain conditions, like high speed powering, and maybe sailing on the reach, that the boat indeed sinks into the water to obtain longer water line length. Alberg has long overhangs, and my boat definitely goes stern down into water under power. so maybe once in a while, gets a little longer waterline hence speed.

We have one of the best in-stream tidal power currents on the west coast, right outside our harbor in Puget Sound. Unfortunately most of my above theoretical boat speed' passages were mostly due to a friendly 3 kt current going my way. ( I have plenty of low- end-boat-speed-passages the other direction! Oh how I wish for 8 knots on those days...)

glennb
Dolce