[Public-List] rudder shoe

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 11:33:03 PST 2011

Hi all,

just as fYI, I tried the test described below couple of years ago and couldnt get any ply in the rudder, yet when I took the shoe off, observed enormous elongation in the bottom seat and a lot of wear on the pin. 1/8 " or more. the rudder shaft is 1" bronze stock on my boat extends all the way down from cockpit to bottom of rudder, and the rudder is supported mid way with a pintel, so i suspect it was stiff enough to not flex under my puny effort. It certainly howled under load from the ocean though.

I pulled the shoe again this year and inspected ( no wear) and reinstalled in about 15 minutes, so its not hard to do once you try it.

Glenn b
dolce