[Public-List] rudder shoe

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:10:08 PST 2011

I'm jealous of all this talk about rudder shoes. My boat does not have one,
as it appears to be removed at some point replaced with two hinges.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yjpL9cS7RDZQvrKkwEjepQ?feat=directlink

These things are as hard to find as hens-teeth. Any chance someone has an
extra kicking around???

-Jeff

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM, <brooks.glenn at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> just as fYI, I tried the test described below couple of years ago and
> couldnt get any ply in the rudder, yet when I took the shoe off, observed
> enormous elongation in the bottom seat and a lot of wear on the pin. 1/8 "
> or more. the rudder shaft is 1" bronze stock on my boat extends all the way
> down from cockpit to bottom of rudder, and the rudder is supported mid way
> with a pintel, so i suspect it was stiff enough to not flex under my puny
> effort. It certainly howled under load from the ocean though.
>

> I pulled the shoe again this year and inspected ( no wear) and reinstalled
> in about 15 minutes, so its not hard to do once you try it.
>

> Glenn b
> dolce

Jeffrey Fongemie