[Public-List] Shore Power location

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Nov 22 21:33:52 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 09:26:29PM -0500, Ben Craig wrote:
>                 I'm doing some cockpit repair this winter and was going to
> update my shore power receptacle which currently is located in the cockpit
> well just to starboard of the compass.  I would be interested to know if
> anyone has had success with other locations.  It seems that its affecting my
> compass deviation.

One of the previous owners of Candy Cane (I think it was Doug) moved the
shore power inlet from the cockpit to the starboard side of the cabin
top, so that it comes in just forward of the bulkhead seperating the
v-berth from the hanging locker.

Whe I bought Candy Cane, the surveyor pointed out that the wired
distance between the inlet and the AC breaker panel was longer than
allowed by ABYC standards, and my insurers required me to correct this
before the boat could be insured. I did this by setting the AC panel in
the space between the shelf and the deck (sideways so it would fit), and
then adding a wood panel and some supports to seperate the space behind
the AC panel from the rest of the shelf.

There's a bit of a gap between the bulkhead and the hull-deck joint where
wiring can be led to the portions of the boat aft of the mast. For
running wiring forward (I've found a (well protected) AC outlet in the
anchor locker to be strangely useful) I've drilled a small hole in the
shelf, and led the wiring under the shelf, much like how the wiring to
the running lights is led on the port side of the v-berth.

It all seems to work fine for me.

Cheers,
Kris

--