[Public-List] Shore Power location

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 04:38:57 PST 2011

My shore power connector is aft in the cockpit on the port side. I never use
shore power and the surveyor did not like the wire that was used so I just
cut the wire out but left the connector in place. Instead of shore power, I
rewired the receptacle to to a small (65 Watt) inverter and now have AC
power when I am away from the dock, so if there is a good football game on I
van watch my flat screen (low power consumption) TV, or recharge my cell
phone, or play my iPod docking station (my only stereo aboard). It is real
hand and I have never had any problem with my onboard battery. But you bring
up an interesting question...why are you worried about compass deviation
while you are connected to shore power? A bigger problem is compass
deviation while you are under power from the current field created by the
alternator. The alternator is just under the compass well. It is a lousy
place for a compass. It is better to locate the compass on the bulkhead,
away for electrical current. I removed the compass and installed a couple of
strips of teak over the front opening of the compass well, it makes a great
place to store suntan lotion, glasses , and even a beer once in a while.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505