[Public-List] Shore Power location

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 23 18:23:09 PST 2011

I redid my shore power about 14 years ago to comply with a surveyors
statement that it did not comply with ABYS standards and so was
dangerous. I used the same place on the boat but it means that a 50'
cord can be a stretch if the shore power source is not really close.
That said, I am happy with where it is / was,  just starboard of the
compass mount in the bridgedeck. There was a requirement that the cord
be fastened to the fixture with a threaded ring. It helps if you use a
GFI for the first recepticle and go from there,  so all downstream
fixtures are GFI protected.
     There is not much reason that an AC current ought to affect the
compass. First the wire ought to be copper and non-magnetic and then any
field of force arising from an AC current ought to be self cancelling.
On the other hand, if there is DC current in the area, then the current
is unidirectional and the ensuing  field of force may affect the compass
because it will be magnetic.
     If there is any leakage from the AC current to the hull then you
can get accelerated galvanic action and zinc dissappears in a hurry.
Even if all you provide is a ground circuit, that is enough to cause
major troubles. Just be sure you isolate whatever you do so this does
not happen. The current leak may be in your neighbours wiring but finds
its way to your ground circuit and goes back to the ground  system on
land  via either the white wire or the bare copper wire. Neither is what
you want. I would recommend Nigel Calder's book on wiring.  (It is also
tough to get AC wire that is tinned and in a bundle. If you can get just
black and white and green , then use that but not less than 14 gauge,
preferably 12 gauge if the cord you use is 12 gauge, and if it is a 30
amp cord , thn it ought to be 12 gauge wire. There is no fuse or breaker
for the short stretch of wire that goes from the connector to the fuse
panel and so that ought to be able to carry 30 amps or whatever the
normal shore power that you are able to hook up to is without melting).
Once at the breaker, then you can go to whatever fuse or breaker you
like and wire from there accordingly. The main thing is to have any
circuit protected to the usage that you wire for and the current draw
that is required for that circuit.
     Enjoy the cockpit repair. I did that 14 years ago too and had to
re-glass the whole floor. Before the fix, if I stepped on the floor , it
would hit the gas tank!
Don