[Public-List] Atomic IV making strange noise

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Oct 3 09:42:57 PDT 2011

Hello friends -

A good friend whose boat is fitted with an A4 engine is having an issue....
The symptom is quite a distinct screeching or scratching sound that starts
when the engine fires up but stops after about 20 or 30 seconds.   I¹ve only
heard the sound over a cell phone but it¹s most certainly there.

Anybody have an idea of what this might be?  I thought a good explanation
might be a loose belt that stops slipping after it got heated by friction,
but after hearing it yesterday over the phone I think it is more of a metal
on metal scratching sound.

Gord #426 Surprise