[Public-List] Atomic IV making strange noise

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Oct 3 12:37:44 PDT 2011

> Subject: [Public-List] Atomic IV making strange noise
>
> A good friend whose boat is fitted with an A4 engine is having an
> issue....
> The symptom is quite a distinct screeching or scratching sound that starts
> when the engine fires up but stops after about 20 or 30 seconds.
Gord,

My first guess for metallic screeching noise is the alternator fan
scraping on the bracket. May be caused by adjusting the tension on an
old belt that has stretched. A stethoscope, or a crude approximation (a
rubber tube with a small funnel or cone on the end) can help to locate
the source. Also useful to know if it recurs if you run the engine a few
seconds, stop and try again, or if it disappears when the engine warms
up, though your friend may not want to run it for long if the source is
unknown...

--Dan S.
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road