[Public-List] Deck Drains on Liner Boat

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon Oct 10 09:21:51 PDT 2011

I've tried a search of the archives and looked for photos on the site,
so if the info is there and I missed it, my apologies.

I'd like a description of the deck drain plumbing for a liner boat.

Specifically, on my boat, it looks like the through hulls for the deck
drains are in the lazarette, on the counter above the water line.  But I
am not sure that's the case, because the hoses no longer go there (a PO
plumbed the deck drains into the cockpit drains with a "T" and it has
never worked well for either, partly because the geometry was wrong).

So, if that's the "normal" place for the deck drains to lead, the hoses
pass through the bulkhead separating the laz from the cockpit lockers?

I'm wondering about the feasibility of simply having the through hulls
on the side of the hull a few inches below the drains themselves, and
thus using only a very short section of hose form the drain to the exit
point.  It would almost be a true scupper at that point, which I've also
considered (glassing in a short section of pipe at the drain, making it
something more like how the pre-liner boats are set up).

Thanks for any info or  input,

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea