[Public-List] Group order of Moeller tanks

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 10:54:39 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Yesterday I fit the mock-up of the Moeller saddle tank into both Port and Starboard cockpit lockers of a non-liner boat. It fits just as Gord described in a liner boat. That is, there is a longitudinal stiffening stringer inside the lockers against the hull. If the lower side of the tank is rested on this stringer there is approximately 3" of clearance above the upper tank surface with the tank against the inside of the hull. In my boat #133,  the port tank lines up nicely with an existing deck port. As Gord suggested I will have to fit the tank and then install the hose and deck fitting into the tank from above the deck. There is ample room to do this procedure. The Starboard tank is a bit different as the existing deck fitting is not located above the tank inlet but inboard of the inner side of the tank. For this installation I will need to fashion some elbows, one below the deck fitting and one above the tank to connect the two. 3" plus or minus is enough room to accomplish this routing. This tank I will use for water so a slow fill is not an issue.

Of course the closer to center line one locates the tanks the more room above the tanks will be available. With the tanks positioned against the hull almost all of the original usable space in each locker is available. Originally I envisioned the tanks further inboard to better balance the boat, but I see now that positioning takes up valuable storage space from the lockers.

Gord or others might comment if full 18 gal tanks outboard against the hull cause instability/rolling issues.

I am in the process of getting quotes on accessories, such as mounting kits, gauges and diesel return kits so we can soon put together our order.

Who else besides Rick Leach, James Almond and Glenn Brooks are interested in this group order?  Please contact me with your wishes and comfirmations. Thank you.

Michael #133