[Public-List] Deck Drains on Liner Boat

George Mathis georage at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:27:05 PDT 2011

I just re-assembled my boat from scratch, so I may not be the best example, but I think the layout I described works well. At serious angles of heel, the deck drains are not going to be working anyway ... no water will be running into them.
You should not have "low points" in the deck drain line obviously, but don't fret if you have a small one for a short run.
It was pretty simple to arrange the semi-rigid hose in such a way that low points were avoided in my case. Routing the hoses through the cockpit locker is sort of annoying, as you have to be mindful of not laying a huge anchor atop them ... but not a deal breaker. I don't think my anchors could collapse the hose anyway.
My deck drain hoses are the same diameter as the cockpit drains. I believe the standard thru-hulls under the engine are one inch (I believe), but those can be expanded.
I would try to avoid reducers.
I have never heard of anyone saying the cockpit in an Alberg 30 drains too slowly with stock equipment, so I would not stress over it, unless you are planning to go seriously offshore. There is an Alberg 30 next to mine being prepped for circumnavigation-type voyages and it is using the same, stock deck drain layout but the thru-hulls are bigger, maybe 1.5 inches? I will have to ask.
I would not try to clean hoses as you describe. If you get one of those cheap high-pressure attachments for a garden hose and remove the grill thing from the deck drain and shoot the water stream down the hose, that will remove any debris I can imagine you'd possibly accumulate.
Just my thoughts. Once again, I am no expert, but I would not overthink the drain plumbing. Seems to work well for what most people use their boats for.
I will look for photos.