[Public-List] upwind in wind

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Oct 25 15:02:29 PDT 2011

Gord,

Here is another sweet motor oriented motorsailors;
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1961/Alden-Motorsailer-2384431/ME/United-Sta
tes

Best one I have found so far is this
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Ted-Hood-frans-Maas-Centerboard-Sloop-2
159938/Ventura/CA/United-States
Ted Hood "whale bottom" design w/ 2 center boards.  Shallow draft w/
windward performance (boards down), good overall sailing performance, galley
up, seated views from PH, twin screws for maneuvering and reliability, good
storage in fore peak and lazarette, three private cabins for us, the kids
and future spouses.

Topsides are a little clunky.  I would try eliminating those huge dorade
boxes connected to the fwd end of the house and replace w/ smaller, detached
ones.  Then add opening hatches on either side of the forward window.  I
might change the concave curves at the aft end of the house to convex and
paint the outboard sides of the cockpit seats white.  This would separate
the house form the seating enclosure, give more "punch" to the house and
make it look proportionally shorter relative to the length of the deck.  So
far, price has come down $50,000.  Perhaps an Alberg group purchase; make a
great Committee Boat.

Best,

Roger