[Public-List] [Member-List] 10/26 Reedville

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 22:04:55 PDT 2011

At 06:54 PM 10/25/2011, Jim Davis wrote:
>[...]
>New for this trip is a small solid fuel fireplace to keep the cabin warm,
>it has been used every night so far on this trip.

Jim... What do you mean by solid fuel? Isobar came with a good sized 'pot
bellied stove' sorta, which I've never used and has been stored in my
garage attic. It has an ingenious design to fit in a fiddle on the port
settee with a charlie noble stack through a removable scuttle in the cabin
top. It even has a cooktop. I've sometimes thought of trying it out, but
I'm a fair weather sailor; winter sailing is not my dish. Besides, I'm not
sure what to burn in it. It was probably made before the days of packaged
wood chips, which might work well. Otherwise ,I can't see keeping a stock
of cordwood in the forepeak. A bag of coal is probably the most efficient
but tough to find at your local marina. Can a wood stove burn coal
efficiently or vice versa?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181