[Public-List] PERFECT launch

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Sep 6 08:05:03 PDT 2011

Apologies if I sent this more than once; so confused.

Hello Everyone,

Eight years, four months and five days after purchase and after: two hip
replacements; gaining and loosing 50 pounds; kids going from grade school to
college; my lovely wife getting more lovely while painting 13 theater sets,
publishing umpteen Church Newsletters and going from Jeanne to Gigi; on
September 1st we launched "PERFECT intentions" (AKA, Good Old 148), the 1966
Alberg 30' sloop we now share with our friends and neighbors Dan, Loraine,
Olivia (5) and Hayden (3) Marks.  The current plan is to sail her for a few
months on the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh (about a mile from our houses)
in order to get the kinks out then find a slip near Annapolis next spring.

A friend was on the boat a few weeks ago and asked, "No offence Roger, but
how many things on the boat have you had to do twice?"  My reply was,
"Steve, that's the wrong question.  Since I had to do everything at least
two times, you should have said thrice, not twice."

I won't go into the full scope of renovation but it suffices to say that I
did more than was necessary and learned a lot about research, following
advice (sometimes), how nice and helpful the folks on the Alberg 30 "Page"
are (thanks so much everyone), patience, humility, cussing, and even how to
wiggle out of the lazarette locker late on Friday night (one has to take
one's wallet out of the back pocket) in order not to have to camp out in an
empty factory over the weekend.  I also gained some skills (there sure is a
lot to know about renovating a boat) and am positive that the next Alberg 30
I renovate will go much faster, perhaps only 5 years.

Please go to  <http://www.perfectintentions.com>
http://www.perfectintentions.com and click on "Launch Photos" for pictures.

All the best,

Roger and the Kingsland Family (Gigi, Morgan and Roger the younger)