[Public-List] Stuffing box

Mike Lehman Sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:02:20 PDT 2011

First loosen the lock nut on the back side of the packing nut, then tighten
the packing nut 1 flat at a time until the drip stops. It should drip
slightly when the engine is running and the shaft is turning since it is a
water lubricated bearing, but should not drip wile the shaft is not turning.
It is a good idea to clamp some vice grips around the tube in the back and
wedge them against the hull to prevent the tube from turning. If the tube
turns and you break the seal between the boat and the tube, you will be
hauling the boat out soon to re-bed the tube...something you don't want to
do. To make it a bit more comfortable (if that is possible) remove the spark
plugs do they don't poke holes in your body while laying over the engine.
Better yet, if you have an old set of spark plugs, break the stems off so
you can plug the holes with the screw in parts.