[Public-List] Sealing cockpit coamings

Bill Newman newman423 at rogers.com
Thu Apr 5 10:58:56 PDT 2012

I have removed the cockpit coamings for refinishing on #233 for the third time since I bought it in 1998.  I have been thinking about the best way to seal them to prevent water on deck from running onto the seats. The coamings are of the old type with a piece of teak quarter round on the outboard side.  I am thinking that this time I will just seal the quarter round to the coamings and seal the bottom of the quarter round to the deck.  I don't believe any sealant below this level will to much good and may trap water that does get past the seal and cause rot.  I will also want to remove them again in a few years so 5200 probably isn't a good idea.

Any comments from anyone who has done this will be appreciated.

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, #233