[Public-List] tip up motor

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon Apr 9 06:40:04 PDT 2012

Randy Whitney wrote:
> Nice job. Well thought out for the user's needs, but not my cup of tea.
>
>    - moves weight further aft and higher

Not compared to an outboard on the stern.  The engine is moved forward,
and the outboard is a few hundred pounds lighter than an inboard.

>    - encourages use of former engine space to be used for stores further
>    encouraging squat in the stern

Not likely the stores in that space are heavier than the engine that was
there.

Converting to an outboard in a well is usually a re-powering option, not
typically one of removing a working inboard to put in an outboard.

Outboards in wells are INCREDIBLY seaworthy compared to other outboard
engine mounting options.  There are pros and cons compared to inboards.

I see the appeal.  I'm considering going to an outboard in a well for my
Alberg 30; it has no inboard engine now, and I long ago decided I will
not replace it.  The space and weight improvements are favored and I've
already glassed over several through-hulls that were engine related.

This solution is not for everybody, and that's cool.  Maybe an inboard
is "the best" by some metrics and for some boaters; but if an outboard
engine is the re-power option, putting it in a well beats hanging it off
the transom in many, many ways.

(One of the things I do like about my outboard on the transom is that if
forces my to think like I'm sailing an engineless boat...this psychology
is just "different")

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea