[Public-List] New Hook

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Sun Feb 5 16:08:11 PST 2012

I think a 14 lb Delta is undersized and personally would not trust it.
I'm coming from a 'cruising' perspective where the primary and secondary
MUST do the job or risk losing the boat.

Here's a link to some recent comments of a 25 footer who drug his
anchors (plural) - an Fx-11 and a Delta 14, and his comment about the
Delta: "The Delta is a great anchor....but not as big as I would like it."

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3467.msg38708.html#msg38708

Yes, anyone can drag in the right circumstances, but notice several
replies that mention that Delta being too small for THAT boat (one of
them is my comment).

A few months ago, I anchored out in Hurricane Irene (eye passed within
20 miles, we had Tropical Storm force or greater for over 24 hours)
using a 35 lb Manson Supreme (my primary) and a 33 lb Simpson Lawrence
claw (my secondary) in a Bahamian Moor type setup with about 13:1 scope
in 9 feet of water.  The claw drug a little; the Manson did not.  The
boat was within it's swing circle after the storm.

I've also kept my boat anchored for 18 months in tidal waters (3+ knot
currents switching direction four times per day).  That was another
Bahamian Mooring setup but with the S-L Claw and a 22 lb Danforth (used
only because of the mooring setup prevented it being pulled opposite
from its set direction...I would NEVER trust that anchor as a single
anchor in tidal waters).

I know anchoring threads tend to start flame wars on various Internet
sailing forums, but I have to offer that I would not even consider
anything smaller than a 25 lb as a primary for this boat, and then, if
would be considered only marginal  for known moderate conditions.

Just to offer the data point, here's what I carry as my primary:  35 lb
Manson Supreme, 60 feet of 5/16 G4 chain, about 250 ft of 5/8" nylon.

If you are cruising, don't skimp on ground tackle....that's the best
insurance your boat can have.