[Public-List] joys of sailing

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Jan 5 16:55:44 PST 2012

    Gordon Laco's tale of a late-season sail on Georgian Bay reminded me
of a trip  in my schooner, Brigdoon, (ex-Art Fawcett boat out of Nova
Scotia) many, many years ago one Thanksgiving, taking the schooner from
Annapolis to its winter berth at the Sailing Marina in Washington. It
snowed going up the Potomac near the Rt 301 bridge and when Joan set a
nice plate of hot scrambled eggs and bacon out on the cockpit seat, I
happened to be stepping off the cabin top and put my foot right in the eggs.

     Spent Sunday night in a marina and as Joan was then teaching, a
friend picked her up, leaving me to finish the sail on my own.

     The weather improved and I sailed up the last few miles - past
Quantico - in warm sunshine with a southwest breeze. Lashed the helm and
climbed halfway up the mainmast and sat in the crosstrees for half an
hour. One of the most beautiful sails I ever had.

  - Gordon White,/Brigadoon II/