[Public-List] Pointing

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 04:52:43 PST 2012

Randy

I think you should be able to tack through 110 degrees or slightly less
depending on wind strength and wave conditions. It is entirely possible to
sail higher/faster on one tack than on the other. This generally means that
your mast is not properly tuned and may be leaning to one side, instead
straight up and down. First you should sight un the track of your mast to
see if there is any bend, if there is you will see it at the spreaders. Then
check to see if there is any bend aft, there should be a slight bend. Next
check you mast for 'plumb'. Do this by taking the main halyard over to one
side of the boat to the upper shroud turnbuckle and make note of where it
touches the turnbuckle, then move it over to the other side and check it the
same way. It should be the same on each side. If it is not then I would
loosen everything and start over. You can attach a plumb bob to the halyard
and hoist it to the top to check the mast fore-aft. The head should be
directly over the base.

1. the mast should be 'plumb' - in other words the head of the mast should
be directly over the base. adjust uppers only until this is achieved.
2. tighten the upper shrouds until you arrive at a moderate tension (see
tension chart).
3. begin to tighten the forward lowers equally on each side until you pull
the mast forward a couple of inches at the spreaders. (sight up frequently
to check this)
4. Once the forwards lowers are tight (they are the highest tension shrouds
on the boat), then just take up the slop on the aft lowers, do not tension
then.
5. Go sailing, sighting up the mast on various points of sail and make
adjustments as necessary...always tighten/loosen both sides equally

The tension chart is on the website. You will see there is a huge difference
from one boat to the next (racing vs. cruising). I would use the setting
shown for US17 since she was sailed by a rigger and performed consistently
well on the race course.

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/SparsSailsRigging/tensions.html

Sorry for the long email

Mike Lehman