[Public-List] Small addition to Mike Lehman's mast beam comments

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Jul 27 08:34:03 PDT 2012

Hello,

One small additional comment to Mike's excellent explanation of the mast
beam reinforcement... When we made this repair in the early 1990s, I was
told to make sure that there is _at_ _least_ _1/8"_ _clearance_ between
the upper edge of the plates and the cabin-top, so that that the edge of
the brace will not crack or stress the deck during the flexing that
occurs in normal use. We were lucky at the time to work with a machinist
who MIG-welded us a 3/16" stainless U-section brace.

Also, Mike's comment about replacing the chain plate bolts with 5/16"
shank bolts is very important. When we did that, a number of the
original "bolts" were bent significantly.

Thanks,

--Dan  S.

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012