[Public-List] Replacing or Relaminating original mast beam with wooden components

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 05:30:03 PDT 2012

Brian,

I still plan on doing the repair as originally intended.  Remove the beam, delaminate the layers and reglue the layers using G-Flex 30 or whatever the Goudgen Brothers at West Systems feel is the most appropriate adhesive. The resorcinol glue that Whitby originally used failed after 34 years. I believe that the Epoxy adhesive has the advantage of lasting far longer. I have the beam jacked up to proper shape and location. Just need to make the template so I can make the clamping form and then remove the beam.

The Pearson Triton uses this same mast beam design and several have been repaired via relaminating the original beam or making a new beam of wooden laminates using more modern durable adhesives. These repairs have also survived the test of time.

I agree that from a structural point of view, fabricating an aluminum channel section to replace the beam may be the most sound fix. I see the original wooden beam as part of the interior "furniture" of the boat and also as a structural member. I admit that I am driven by aesthetics and wish to retain the nice wooden interior furnishings. I am convienced, and I may be wrong, that I can achieve the structural integrity required for the mast beam and also retain the appearance of the original look. It is just a different approach to solving the same problem.

I do know that I have to 'live' with the repair which I have chosen. I prefer to gaze upon the beauty of the wooden mast beam versus aluminum plates through bolted to the sides of the original beam. Because I intend to remove the beam to inspect the underside of the coach roof and the main bulkheads..... after that point I don't see it as much more work to relaminate the original beam versus installing the aluminum plates.

I will keep the list posted and have told George that I will carefully document this style of repair so others can see what I have done.

Michael #133