[Public-List] Rudder post leak

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Jul 16 08:37:58 PDT 2012

Greg,

My understanding of the non-liner boats is that the rudder stock has a tube around it all the way from the hull on the bottom end and the underside of the cockpit sole at the upper end. There is no packing at either end of the tube. This tube will always have water in it. The level of the water depends on how much your boat squats in the water, the sea condition, etc. If you put enough weight in the stern water might come all the way up the tube and over flow into the cockpit. That in itself is just a nuisance nothing more. This tube could develop a leak anywhere along it's length. Any leak between the underside of the cockpit sole and the inner hull where it passes thru the hull will put water into the bilge, dependent on the level of water in the tube. Worst case scenario, if the tube were to break off at the lower end where it passes thru the hull the boat will sink stern first.

Hope this helps.

Michael #133