[Public-List] going solo (docking)

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Jun 5 07:05:18 PDT 2012

Jeff, others,

Here's a simple docking trick that I learned about 10 years ago from a
woman in the next slip with a similar size boat. Prepare a line tied
amidships to use as a landing line. I use the eye in the car on the jib
sheet block track on the deck. Thread it under the lifeline behind the
stanchion and set it on the cabin trunk.

Single handed, approach the slip at a slightly steeper angle so you know
it will be slowed down by a fender or fender board as the shrouds pass
the outboard end of the pier. Then jump with the landing line, loop it
around the mid-ships cleat on the dock and then grab the shrouds and
walk forward, pulling in the line (pay attention as it passes the cleat
and get a wrap). It bears on the stanchion briefly, but that is not a
problem. Having that line from amidships on the cleat lets you keep
control of the boat and roughly position it with the wind ahead or
behind you. It's a little tricky in a strong wind (the stern can tend to
swing out), but has proven to be useful, even with crew.

--Dan S.
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road