[Public-List] going solo

gregr at nethere.com gregr at nethere.com
Tue Jun 5 18:59:51 PDT 2012

I'm a bit paranoid and an ex rock climber(I'm comfortable with being tied in
for long periods) so take the following with a large grain of salt.

Harness Rules on Ayla if outside the bay:
Solo & outside the cabin: Clip in
On deck alone: Clip in
Outside the cabin at night: Clip in

I have padeyes on the forward wall of the cockpit for clipping into before
leaving the cabin and for use while in the cockpit. I can do everything I
need to in the cockpit on a ~6' tether and can't go past the toe rail.

I have a padeye on the aft wall of the cockpit for working the stern deck.
I can do everything I need to and can't go over the pulpit.

My jacklines start on the cabin top and run though padeyes near the forward
hatch. They then meet at a padeye just aft of my mooring bit. The concept
is that most of the time I'm headed to the mast and a short tether helps to
keeps me inside my life lines even if I slip. If I do need to go forward I
can work the whole fore deck on my 6' tether but can't go over the bow
pulpit.

I probably take it too far but I would suggest terminating the forward end
of your jack lines near the center of your fore deck. I don't know of any
good reason for taking them all the way to the bow.

Regards,

Greg

#43 Ayla