[Public-List] Alberg without an engine?

Clayton Zimmerman cb_zimmerman at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 23 15:01:22 PDT 2012

Hello all, I've been sailing my new Alberg 30, Hull #349, around British Columbia for the past month and loving every second of it. Hoping to draw from everyone's knowledge in this forum..............I'm wondering if anyone has or know of anyone who has sailed their Alberg 30 without an engine for a significant period of time? I've read that the stern sort of "squats" with the engine in her and mine definitely does. A previous owner installed a Yanmar 3HM35F (35hp, 350 lbs dry weight). The biggest question is does removing the engine and larger 3 blade prop, significantly improve the performance? I know Yves Gelina sailed around without one, but have not found anything where he argues the point one way or another.
Thanks everyone,ClaytonS/V "Tanager"Port Townsend, WA