[Public-List] Reefing line question

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jun 1 09:29:01 PDT 2012

Hello Glenn - I just read your email again - I want to make sure I am not
offering an irrelevant opinion...

'Reef points' normally refer to the cringles (grommets) worked into the body
of the sail along a line between the reefed clew and tack - the new corners
of the reefed sail.

The reefing lines pull the new clew and the new tack down to the boom, and
it is the issue of combining these two lines I refer to below.

The points, the short lines that run through the cringles across the line of
the new foot of the sail, do not need any hardware on the boom - in fact it
is of vital importance that they take no load at all when they are tied in.
their only job is to hold the loose bunt of the reefed sail up on the boom
so that it doesn't look messy and collect water (it will do the later
anyway).  There is really no way to run a single line through the points in
such a manner that they do not start pulling on the mainsail.  If this
happens, the sail will very likely be torn.  In the least case, they would
prevent the new foot of the sail from being pulled taut enough that you end
up with a flat sail - and that is what you want if you feel the need to
reef.

Did I get you right in the first instance?

Gord
#426 Surprise