[Public-List] Going to all rope halyard

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 19:09:00 PDT 2012

I use 1/4 inch Amsteel-Blue (not the same as Amsteel) for my main halyard, fits nicely thru existing sheave, low stretch, very strong. Took a little getting used to the smaller diameter line in hand, a couple extra turns on the winch was required to prevent line-slipping while handling. I didn't need a cover.
Here's what they say about it:

A high-performance 12-strand single braid of 100% Dyneema SK-75 fiber,
AmSteel-Blue yields the maximum in strength-to-weight ratio, very low
stretch, and is stronger than the same sized wire rope constructions —
yet it floats. It’s the highest strength single braid Samson makes.
Samthane coating enhances an already high abrasion and cut resistance.
Adding a cover is recommended for areas handled by winch or rope
clutches.
• A line made for the high-performance sailor
• Stronger than Amsteel; stronger than steel
• Very low stretch; torque-free
• Low creep
• Good for high static jobs like halyards, wire replacement, and light weight spinnaker sheets
• Splicing technique: modified full-bury 12-strand splice
• Available in blue, green and orange; red by special order
• Sold by the foot

Good Morning,

I'm looking at replacing my wire/rope halyard and would like to know what
line folks have found to work. I'm looking at V-100 8mm but am open to
suggestions. Are there any good choices that don't require replacing the
sheave?

Thanks,

Greg
#43 Ayla