[Public-List] going solo

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue Jun 5 07:26:18 PDT 2012

I agree with the other comments and will only add (expanding on what
George said) single handed sailing is more about mindset than "gear."

Everything takes longer, so as George said, plan and begin execution
earlier than you are perhaps used to doing.  This includes reefing (or
other sail handling), rigging docklines, fenders, whatever.  When you
have crew, even if they do not really do much, they are a bit of a
safety net.  When it's just you, it's just you.  <grin>

Only comment I'd offer on the jacklines/harness issue is that I don't
think (in the so-called ideal world at least) our procedures should
really be any different alone or with crew.  If it's important enough to
do it while alone, maybe it should be SOP all the time?  The other
thought is that sometimes even "with crew" is more like single handing,
if we are running single handed watches.  Habits are habits - jacklines
and harnesses are less of a hurdle, psychologically as well as
physically, if they are part of the routine.  That said, we don't rig
them inshore in fair weather.  Offshore?  All.  The. Time.  Fair weather
or foul, all on deck or one on watch or alone on board.

I think the key to docking single handed is to slow down...slow WAY
down.  A good friend, sailing in his 70's (and since the 1950's) has
'taught' me to approach the dock like we don't have a reverse on our
engine.  This advice has served me well over the years, single handed or
otherwise.  When the wind (or tide) is unfavorable, the game is
changed.  Sometimes, the seamanlike thing to do is dock temporarily in a
better slip or a face dock if one is available.  I've done that.

A midship dock line is also helpful, or using a single line led from bow
to stern cleats with "just enough" slack is a handy trick I've used this
a lot on multiple sail boats and power boats.  Assuming floating docks
with cleats (ie, not pilings alongside), you simply lay the continuous
dock line over a cleat as you drift past and it secures the boat while
you tend to other things.  It's dirt simple docking this way, I've used
it coming alongside in some rather bouncy and windy conditions.

Just some thoughts...

I love sailing with my family and friends, but I also love sailing
alone.  The experience is very different.  In conversations, I usually
recommend it to sailors that have never done it.

Best of luck, and please do report back to us your first single handing
experiences!

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea