[Public-List] going solo

Ronald Walker rwpsw at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 5 10:48:19 PDT 2012

Hi Jeff
I'm very new to sailing. Traded my 92 Harley for my Alberg middle of last season. No regrets!
One tip concerning docking or leaving the dock I got from an old salt at my marina. Once you have your boat tied up, spring lines and all. Assuming your bow in. Run a line from the aft cleat on the dock with a loop over your port cockpit winch. No slack. When I get to the boat, the first thing I do is start up my Atomic 4, at idle speed I put her in gear. Then I can take my time removing all docking lines. The one looped over the winch combined with the motor keeps the boat in place. Be sure to leave the loop
layng on the dock. When I return to the dock after sailing the first thing I do is grab that loop and place it over the winch. Be sure to have it in gear. Then just as before its a cinch to walk around and secure everything.
Fair Winds Jeff
Ron
Full Measure #292