[Public-List] going solo

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Tue Jun 5 11:08:08 PDT 2012

Jeff... Single handing is a piece of cake - enjoy it. 90% of my sailing has
been single handed - my wife is not a sailing lover, and I have no problems
with sailing or docking. Accept the fact you may look awkward every once
in  a while coming into the slip or making sail changes, but the job gets
done. Mooring or anchoring is trivial.

Hank on jibs & halyards at the mast aren't a problem, although I did get
roller furling a few years ago. I also have a Dutchman rigged main (like
lazy jacks) which makes dousing simple. Once or twice a year, under ideal
conditions, I'd fly the (no sock) spinnaker, mostly to feel macho. Never
used harness or jacklines, but then, I used to smoke, too.

Two things are necessary:

1. Autotiller

2. Most important: Be wary of the weather. Things that are a piece of cake
in good weather are tough when the barometer sinks. In (unfortunately rare
summer Chesapeake Bay) windy conditions, Reef before getting underway, so
there's no fire drill on a heaving deck. Sometimes I'd look funny later,
becalmed with a double reef, but that's ok. Weather forecasts are pretty
good nowadays - if it looks bad, take a lay day or stay home.  You can
handle the unforecast summer squall  as well single handed as with a crew -
or as poorly. Finally, don't sail in the winter. Sailing should be fun, not
masochistic.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181