[Public-List] going solo

richard.hazlegrove at wellsfargo.com richard.hazlegrove at wellsfargo.com
Tue Jun 5 13:42:55 PDT 2012

To Chris's comment about how fast the boat must go before it becomes impossible to re-board;  I recall some years ago that one of the sailing magazines - Practical Sailor? - performed a series of tests with strong swimmers and Coast Guard supervision. They determined that the maximum boat speed was very low for these swimmers to pull their way back to the transom using a line dragging in the water. If I recall correctly, at anything above about two knots, one had to be in very good shape to do this.  Above three knots these athletic swimmers could not do it. I concluded that this was not much of a strategy in anything other than light air sailing.  Certainly not in conditions that had made me want to drag a line.  Better to figure out a way to disengage the autopilot and hope the boat rounds up.