[Public-List] going solo

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue Jun 5 14:16:19 PDT 2012

This method comes from Charles who sails s/v Urchin (Windrose 18) out of
Miami...sometimes quite a ways out from Miami.

He leads his drag line around his tiller near the aft end (he may have a
transom hung rudder) in such a manner that it will pull the tiller hard
over he is goes over and gets ahold of the drag line.  When the force of
him dragging through the water pulls on the drag line, it pulls the
tiller all the way over.  The line is designed to turn her upwind, I guess.

Interesting idea.  I think he has tested it.  What I remember from his
discussion, too, is that the drag line needs to be a LOT longer than
most think, though if in combination with a tether/harness, maybe that's
less of an issue.

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea