[Public-List] Alberg without an engine?

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 04:33:27 PDT 2012

Clayton,

Racing one design is the best way to test the performance of any boat. I
used to race my Alberg quite often and with a two-blade prop aligned with
the keel. I switched to a 3-blade prop so therefore could not 'hide' the
prop and noticed about 1/4 knot difference in performance while sailing.
There was a significant performance improvement in motoring and maneuvering.
I have always had an engine, first 20 years the Atomic 4 and for the past 15
years a Universal M4-30 diesel (about 50 lbs lighter than the Atomic 4)...I
have not noticed and performance differences due to the differences in the
weight of the engine...now let a crew member sit on the stern
pulpit...that's a different story! That's unsupported weight!

Mike Lehman