[Public-List] Hull Painting

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Mar 1 05:13:24 PST 2012

Jonathan,

I find it interesting that many have supported the 2 part or awlgrip
method for coating the gelcoat.

When I purchased Infinity from My aunt back in 1997 the boat had Awlgrip
on her. An expensive paintjob that requires time and much energy to do
right - and Infinity was done right. However a variety of factors caused
all manner of dents, dings, scratches and scrapes on the hull which
revealed white scratches on a beautiful blue hull. I was frustrated
because I would have to touch up these things and wanted her to look
great . Infinity was in a beautiful torn dress so to speak.

I considered my options where were -
1. I was going to cruise the boat - and likely some dock or raft up
would scratch the hull
2. I was going to race her - and some bouy or altercation was going to
scratch the hull
3. She would be on a mooring so no problems there but she was docked at
times and scratches did happen.
4. I do haul her every 2 years and much like what my dad did on his
Friendship Sloop I have no problems redoing the paint job.

So with this thinking I picked up the Interlux Brightside polyurethane
paint and have been using that ever since. It is an excellent 10 foot
paint. It is fine for touchups as well as rolling and tipping the whole
hull to get that perfect finish. It is more affordable than the
multiparts and much easier to work with. It lasts years - I have my
current coat I have not touched up in 6 years and she still looks great.
You can also wax it and if need be hit it with 110 grit paper and apply
a new coat.

I have had racing hulls and 2 part is great if you need an non-porous
paint that is often below water but for the topsides - stick with the
Brightside paint - it is easy, affordable and easily maintainable.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

PS.
We went nice and fast with it ....