[Public-List] inner staysl shown on original Whitby Brochure??

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Mar 9 05:52:22 PST 2012

In very light air on any point of sail, the spinnaker staysail seemed to do
nothing but mess up the spinnaker.

In medium air it would draw while reaching, plus or minus a few degrees.

The only time I was on a boat that seemed to benefit from this sail was
aboard a One Ton yacht back in the old IOR days.  We used that sail in heavy
air broad reaching under spinnaker.  Fin keeled yachts of the IOR type can
steer wildly when pressed hard off the wind.... We used the spinnaker
staysail as an emergency steering assist when the yacht would get out of
control and start rounding up.   Easing the main while sheeting the staysail
in hard flat would tend to shove her head down again and help keep us under
the spinnaker.  Wild and nerve wracking!

Alberg 30's don't have such poor steering characteristics, even when
pressed, that they need that sort of brutal steering assist.

Which reminds me of one of TOUCH WOOD's triumphs.... Once upon a time at the
end of the 160 mile annual passage from Toronto to Kingston we used to take
her on at the beginning of holidays sailing in the Thousand Islands, we were
blasting up under spinnaker and main from the Duck Islands toward Kingston
Harbour.  We fell in with a flock of larger 'modern' yachts all on the home
run of a distance race.  They stampeded past us, some hooting at us for
being a pretty but slow old boat.  However, as the wind built and backed
more west, everybody ended up reaching under their chutes... One by one the
C&C 34's, 30's etc rounded up with sails flogging, gear in disarray.... And
along we'd come trudging at our 7knts but going like we were on rails. TOUCH
WOOD was at her max-max flat out hull speed - deep between her bow and stern
waves with so much force on her rudder that it felt like it was locked
amidships.  I was a little afraid we'd tear something out of the deck or
rig, but also felt it would be worth it.   They'd get organized, put their
bows down again and shoot ahead past us only to round up further along out
of control...and along we'd come again, catching up.  We ended up getting to
Kingston right with them (but to leeward, I didn't want to affect their
race).  We broke nothing, there was no drama, just a soundly designed yacht
with superb steering and sail carrying characteristics, doing without
dramatics what she was meant to do.

Gord #426 SURPRISE