[Public-List] Yamar 2cyl 15hp

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 13:10:28 PDT 2012

It depends on the use and how you want to use it.   Diesel's last best if run at 75% or so power for fairly long periods, and when they can get up to temperature.  A 16 hp will be run at higher % more of the time, thus you should have a longer lasting engine, particularly if you also day sail quite a lot.  Assuming you are willing to run at slightly slower speeds you will get much better mileage - there is an enormous difference between 4.7-4.9 knots and 6 knots in power consumption on an Alberg 30.  I find I can get 1/2 litre per hour at just under 5 knots, whereas if I push it to closer to 6 knots, then consumption is over 1 l/hour.  Granted, that is 20% faster, but for 100% more fuel consumption.    I have a Yanmar 2gm20f, probably about 16 hp with a 3 bladed prop.  I've done a fairly long stint on the canals, mostly all at just under 5 knots - yes, I could have pushed it to 5.5 knots and did sometimes, but mostly I enjoyed sitting back and
 watching and mostly I was in 5 knot speed limitted areas anyways - it also REALLY helps if you run aground at slightly lower speeds, which is very easy to do on a canal.   If I have to repower at some point, I doubt I would go to anything larger - I can run the engine at 95% to push through a current or push through big waves if needed, but I only need to do that for 5-10 minutes at a time so it seems reasonable.  I like the slightly smaller engine so that I run at 75% more of the time and get the engine fully up to temperature.  If I lived/frequented somewhere with 4 knot entry/exit currents, I would seriously consider the higher horse power.  I don't know the Chesapeake well enough to know whether you will encounter that very often or not.  In the Bahamas, you seldom encounter such strong currents (sometimes, just not often.)

Bill.