[Public-List] ideal Asymetrical spinnaker size

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Thu Mar 15 14:07:54 PDT 2012

Glennb wrote:
> Anybody have an idea of what an ideal size could be for an asymetrical spinnaker for single or short handed cruising?  North Sails Direct has some pretty good prices on a 33' tri radial genneker at the moment.
>
> thanks,
>
> Glenn P
> Dolce

For single or short handed cruising, I'd say forgo the spinnaker
completely.  A drifter (nylon genoa) is a good alternative, and one can
pole out the drifter on one side and use the regular genoa to leeward as
twins - mondo headsail area in smaller, easier to handle, pieces.  The
drifter is more versatile and easier to use than a spinnaker, and thus
the money spent on it gives a bigger return.

Not a lot of short handed "cruising" boats, at least distance cruising
boats, fool with spinnakers.  Some do, of course, but statistically not
many.

Food For Thought.

--
John S. Riley