[Public-List] Cockpit core thickness in early boats?

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 00:09:08 PDT 2012

when I bought Dolce six years ago, the rudder tube mounted in the hull was packed with old grey putty around the shaft tube inside the hull.  The material had hardened over the years and was cracked and leaking a small but steady dribble that ran forward down  into the bilge.

if your rudder tube is leaking because of failure of this old putty material, you will probably be able to observe a greenish stain coming from the bronze tube running foward on the inside of the hull, where the water dribbles into the bilge. If so,  you can gouge out all this old material and fiberglass the tube in place, once you open up the cockpit floor.

alternatively, the tube itself uses an packing gland to seal water from entering the boat from around the rudder shaft.  takeoff the nut on top of the tube and renew the square packing material, hen tighten the nut back down significantly hard to stop water.  in this instance, watermcomes out of the top of the nut., whereas if the tube leaks at the base, water comes in at the hull joint.

I put an inspection plate in the cockpit floor over my rudder tube, so  I can access this thing for maintenance every few years.
Glenn P.
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad