[Public-List] Topping lifts

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Sun Mar 25 18:22:17 PDT 2012

On Mar 25, 2012, at 8:47 PM, Amy & David Swanson wrote:
>  I was thinking of changing the boom end so that there is a block on the end of the line coming down from the top of the mast, with a line from the end of the boom up over the block, and back down to a cleat on the end of the boom.

Do you ever adjust the topping lift while underway?  Say if you are reefing?  I do, and so I would find it inconvenient or possibly dangerous at times when the end of the boom is off to leeward, and not actually over the boat.  For that reason, I like it up near the mast, even if it is on the boom (also, I tend to use it when I'm at the mast anyway, but even if not, I think I would still feel this way).

I have had a topping lift (on a non-Alberg 30) that came down as you described, BUT the difference was that it continued on through a block at the end of the boom, came forward along the boom through some fairleads, and then terminated on the boom up toward the gooseneck.

Rachel
ex-#221