[Public-List] Rudder post stuffing box

The Rochets rochet at shaw.ca
Tue May 22 13:33:54 PDT 2012

I haven't repacked my rudder stuffing box yet, but feel that I should be doing so.

Any suggestions about the best packing material?

Also, I have wheel steering and the steering mechanism attachment on the rudder post is right on top of the stuffing box, which makes it  quite awkward to access. Does anybody with wheel steering have any advice about the best way to deal with this?

Can repacking the rudder stuffing box be done while the boat is in the water?

As you can tell, I am a bit insecure about this and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bernard
Sunswept 608
Mayne Island, British Columbia