[Public-List] Placement of Bow Chocks

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Sat May 19 05:23:55 PDT 2012

Mine got jerked off by a big wake while at the dock. That may have been what happened. I put them on the bronze fixture at the bow.

Do you have an old style or new style boat? On the old style do not place them on top of the wooden rail, as it is not strong enough. The new style is a little different, as I think you would mount into Fibreglass, but the stress is still there.

imho the way to reduce stress on your deck fittings is to have the boat resting on her springs when at the dock, and have the breast lines relatively loose. Once the boat starts rocking - if a wake comes by - it is only a matter of time before the waves, and the way the boat is rocking combine to put a real shock on everything.

Jonathan
197 Laughing Gull